In order to be fully admitted to the UNI Teacher Education Program, all students must meet the following requirements:
- Have a declared major
- Have earned at least 24 semester hours of college course credit
- Have completed College Writing and Research (ENGLISH 1005) or equivalent with a C- or better
- Have completed Oral Communications (COMM 1000) or equivalent with a C- or better
- Have completed the Liberal Arts Core Category 1C (Quantitative Techniques & Understanding) with a grade of a C- or better
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Have completed an acceptable Application to the Teacher Education Program (Paper) (Please allow a minimum of 4 weeks for application processing) Online Application (Please allow a minimum of 4 weeks for application processing)
- Have achieved a passing score on each of the three required Praxis I/Praxis Core tests (Reading, Math, and Writing) and have met the overall total score requirement.
- Earned credit for TEACH 2017
Admission to the UNI Teacher Education Program happens on a continuous basis. We do have some target dates to meet registration times. For those wanting to take Level II in the spring semester we recommended you have Praxis Core results and application to the office by October 1. For those wanting to take Level II in the summer or fall semester we recommended you have Praxis Core results and application to the office by March 1 to hit your registration time. Transfer students will be admitted throughout the year and helped with registration for Level II when they arrive on campus.
Once you are admitted join us for Convocation. More information on this ceremony can be found here: Teacher Education Convocation.
Student can monitor their admission and progress throughout the program using the UNI Teacher Education Data (UNITED) system.
Students are strongly encouraged to submit their Application to the Teacher Education Program and to pass the Praxis Core exam as soon as possible upon entry to the university. These two requirements should be completed no later than the midway point of a student's second semester at UNI (see bolded text below). Students are very strongly encouraged to take advantage of the workshops and tutorial preparation services provided by the Academic Learning Center prior to taking the Praxis Core.
Students cannot enroll in or take most teacher education courses (including Level II courses) until they have achieved full admission to the Teacher Education Program. Students who do not act promptly to complete all the admission requirements may find their programs delayed. NO exceptions can be made in regard to the admission requirements for the Teacher Education Program under any circumstances.