In order to be fully admitted to the UNI Teacher Education Program, all students must meet the following requirements:
- Credits: Earn at least 24 semester hours of college course credit
- Coursework: Successfully complete:
- College Writing and Research (ENGLISH 1005) or equivalent with a C- or better;
- Oral Communications (COMM 1000) or equivalent with a C- or better;
- Liberal Arts Core Category 1C (Quantitative Techniques & Understanding) with a grade of a C- or better;
- TEACH 2017 or equivalent
- GPA: Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Declare: Declare a teaching major at UNI
- Apply: Complete Application to the Teacher Education Program--Please click here to download a copy.
Effective July 1, 2020, the Praxis Core exam is no longer required for admission to the program. Here is more information on that change.
Admission to the UNI Teacher Education Program happens on a continuous basis. We do have some target dates to meet registration times. For those wanting to take Level II in the spring semester we recommended you have your application to the office by September 1. For those wanting to take Level II in the summer or fall semester we recommended you have your application to the office by February 1 to hit your registration time. Transfer students will be admitted throughout the year and helped with registration for Level II when they arrive on campus.
Once you are admitted, join us for UNI Teacher Education Induction Convocation. More information on this ceremony can be found here.
Students can monitor their admission and progress throughout the program using the UNI Teacher Education Data (UNITED) system.
Students are strongly encouraged to submit their Application to the Teacher Education Program as soon as possible upon entry to the university. This should be completed no later than the midway point of a student's second semester at UNI (see bolded text below).
Students cannot enroll in or take most teacher education courses (including Level II courses) until they have achieved full admission to the Teacher Education Program. Students who do not act promptly to complete all the admission requirements may find their programs delayed. NO exceptions can be made in regard to the admission requirements for the Teacher Education Program under any circumstances.